Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Issues

One of the issues I have with traveling is, of course, the lack of access to my kitchen. Another is the lack of access to the internet, both of which I consider to be lifelines. After a long week of traveling, I can't wait to go home. On a positive note, the issue of boredom during air travel is an issue that I happen to look forward to overcoming. I love browsing the airport newsstands for the newest issues of my favorite magazines. So when I noticed that the October issue of Saveur is "The Breakfast Issue," of course I had to snatch it up.

A celebration of the wonderful morning meals that start our day, it highlights recipes from around the world. There are so many I can't wait to cook up at home. Also to my delight, there is a special section devoted to breakfast cocktails such as the ones featured on this week's poll. Here is one that I'm curious to try:

Recipe for Henry C. Ramos's Gin Fizz (courtesy of Saveur magazine):

Combine 2 tsp fresh lime juice, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, and 1 tbsp sugar in a cocktail shaker and stir to dissolve. Add 1 + 1/2 oz gin, 1 oz heavy cream, 1/4 tsp orange flower water, and 1 egg white. Cover and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. The longer you shake, the frothier the cocktail will get. Add 2 cups of ice, cover, and shake again for about 45 more seconds. Strain into a chilled glass and add 1 oz cold seltzer.

The orange flower water sounds interesting. It could be fun to experiment with in other dishes.

No comments: