Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Feaster

Holidays are the best. Not only do you get to celebrate something meaningful, you get to eat great meals with people you care about. And eating great meals is always cause for a celebration in itself, in my opinion.

I made lamb for Easter. For some reason I can't explain, lamb intimidates the hell out of me. Which is ridiculous because it's so easy. Maybe it's the pressure of holiday cooking that is the true intimidator. Oh well; who cares? It was good, which is all that matters.

First, I found some good-looking rib chops. Asparagus is fat and gorgeous right now, so I went with that, too. I recently made some chicken stock, so I decided to make risotto with roasted asparagus and Brie cheese (the Brie was not a good idea, by the way. The flavor got lost in the risotto. I think I'll stick with Parmegiano. The asparagus was great). I rubbed the rib chops with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and tarragon (I decided rosemary would be too predictable), and covered them in the fridge to let them marinate while I made the risotto. Then I heated a skillet, and cooked the lamb over medium heat, about 3 or 4 minutes per side, and served on top of the risotto. It was a filling dish, but I still had plenty of room left over to polish off my big chocolate bunny.


No comments: