Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gifts for Gourmets

I still have a copy of my Christmas wish list to Santa from when I was 8-years-old. It was so well organized, and it had little drawings on it to match the descriptions - just in case Santa couldn't read my writing, I suppose. I did not ask for a Barbie doll, or a Cabbage Patch Kid, or even an official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle. I asked for a bagel and a pear. Even at 8 I knew I loved food.

If you have a foodie friend in your life that you still need to get a gift for, they might think a pear is a weird gesture (and they'd be right, unless they're 8 and they specifically asked for it by name, and via crude illustration); but I bet if they don't have any of these essential gadgets, they will enjoy adding them to their culinary repertoire.

Of course, certificates for a specialty grocery store, nice restaurant, or a cooking class make great gifts as well. For something sexier than a spaetzel maker (what?? impossible!), I highly endorse the Philosophy line of cosmetic products. Their 3-in-1 shampoo/shower gel/bubble bath concoctions smell delicious (but don't leave a lingering sugary scent on your body) and have equally delectable signatures such as Red Velvet Cake, Cinnamon Bun, Coconut Frosting, Strawberry Milkshake and Raspberry Sorbet. Last year I begged my husband for a bottle of the Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and I have been savoring every last bit. The icing on the cake, literally speaking, is that scripted on each bottle is the recipe for which it is named. So you can smell the cake and eat it, too.

No comments: